Bowl one (medium bowl):
1/4 cup organic espresso coffee, cold (Laura likes Kokako Organic)
1/4 cup rice bran, sunflower, vegetable or canola oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
6 egg yolks
Bowl two (largest bowl):
1 1/3 cups stoneground white flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
1/2 tsp cinnamon, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup caster sugar
Bowl three (large bowl):
6 egg whites
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 cup caster sugar, extra
300 mL cream, whipped
2 tbsp icing sugar
Preheat oven to 175ºC or 155ºC if fan-bake.Line the bottom of 3 loaf pans with baking paper - do not grease.
- Combine ingredients in each bowl as listed. add bowl one to bowl two and combine roughly.
- Using electric beaters beat egg whites with vinegar until foamy, slowly add the reserved sugar until a soft meringue forms (soft peaks).
- Add a large spoon of the egg white mixture to bowl two and combine. Fold through remaining egg whites.
- Divide mixture between the three pans and cook for 17-20 minutes until the cakes spring back lightly to the touch. Leave in pans until completely cool.
- Cut each cake in half and spread with cream whipped with icing sugar. Sandwich together to make two loaf cakes. Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.