Rhubarb and Cardamom Cordial
4 cardamom pods
10 stems of rhubarb
2 cups of water
1 cup sugar
Bruise the cardamom pods and add to a deep saucepan with the roughly chopped rhubarb and water.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes
Strain and reserve the rhubarb (to make the pudding or to have with your breakfast muesli).
Return the liquid to the pot and place back on the heat stir in the sugar until dissolved. Bring back to the boil before removing from the heat and allowing to cool.
Rhubarb & Apple Vanilla Sponge Pud
4 cups fresh chopped rhubarb and apple
50g or 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 free range organic egg
1 cup stoneground organic flour
1 tsp cream of tartar (or 3 tsp of lemon juice)
1 pinch mineral or sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180ºC or 160ºC for fan bake.
- Fill an oven proof dish with fruit
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg.
- Sift flour, cream of tartar* and salt into a bowl.
- Combine baking soda, milk and vanilla extract.
- Mix together dry ingredients, creamed mixture and combined liquids.
- Spoon over prepared fruit and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
Cooking Temp: 180ºC
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
If substituting cream of tartar for lemon juice then add the lemon juice with the other liquid ingredients.